The very lovely and wonderful Middle Aged Warrior has nominated me for The Sunshine Blogger Award – so thank you MAW for making me positively blush with pleasure!
As required before I can accept it, here are my answers to your 11 Questions –
1. If you’ve learned anything as you’ve got older, what have you learned? That everyone else is so busy thinking how rubbish they are, they’ve no energy left over to think about how rubbish I am. All that wasted worrying what people thought of me!
And what I’d like to say to all the young women, my own daughter included, is that if a man (or substitute “woman” and “she” as appropriate) wants you, he will find you. Ask, but don’t beg. The man who makes you cry isn’t worth your tears, the man who is worth your tears won’t make you cry.
And finally, that money is not for buying things, it’s value is in giving you power in situations you find yourself in and in making you safe – something you only learn when you really have none.
2. Why do you blog and what got you started? I started because I had got trapped in a deprivation-binge cycle and couldn’t shift the weight that’d caused me to gain; and I thought a blog would help me to drag myself out of this ditch. And it has. But I continue blogging because I just love writing and I love reading and I love connecting. I’m astonished that I can just dip my toe into the world of blogging and find a dazzling array of people, of women, of misfits and bloggers too cool for words in it, and I can access their thoughts with a touch of my fingers. Astounding.
3. What’s your confidence boosting go-to outfit? A Scarf. I have always loved scarves, ever since I first saw Bob Dylan’s nonchalantly-slung-over-one-shoulder specimen on the front cover of Blonde on Blonde. I probably need a walk-in-wardrobe just to display all my scarves for choosing. When I go to Europe, I always come back with more and exhausted with all that sighing over the effortlessly cool scarves casually and winningly knotted around flawless necks.
4. What’s the best comment you’ve ever received on your blog? That you had nominated me for a Sunshine Blogger Award!
5. What makes you laugh? Dark, dark humour. Teenagers. Strangely, my ex-husband. And I actually mean that as a compliment.
6. What’s the last thing to happen that made you lose your temper? Wow. I genuinely can’t actually remember the last time I lost my temper. It’s all that working in a high school and cultivating Professional Patience!
7. Write a line of poetry you can remember off by heart – no googling! And aye, in the very temple of delight, veil’d Melancholy has her sovereign shrine. (I think that’s how Keats punctuated it! I can still remember that from A Levels!)
8. What song ALWAYS gets you on the dance floor? None. I never, ever dance. And that’s a true story.
9. If you had an unexpected relative or friend turn up to Christmas and you had to find them a present – what would you give them? A scarf. I always have a few around I haven’t worn yet, and some that would even suit a man.
10. What’s your guilty pleasure? Boston, More Than A Feeling / Deep Purple, Black Knight / AC/DC, Whole Lotta Rosie.
11. Tell me a joke…
I will now think about my 11 nominees and the 11 questions I’d like them to answer.
Thanks again, MAW!